Strange Adventures

    The story of Professor Calamity started off as a series of doodles and notes for a TV series I'd love to make. It was a blend of Doctor Who, Farscape, Blake's 7, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Avengers and so much more! The series was a pastiche, an homage, a fusion of all the elements I held most dear about each of those shows. It was my love letter to science fiction through the ages.

    Over the years Professor Calamity almost became a radio drama twice, but I never quite managed to get it together enough to complete it. Something about the scripts I had written wasn't quite right. It was used as the backdrop to my play Rehearsal Space, set behind the scenes of a low-budget sic-fi show in the 60s.

    In the spring of 2020 I was asked to contribute a short story for a compilation. I picked a freestanding Calamity episode idea, reworking it to fit the characters and the brief, and to a very tight word count.

    Inspiration!
    I could write my episodes of Professor Calamity with the same tight word count, and compile a paperback trilogy. A three-series tv show on paper. A novelisation of the show that never was! And so I set to work, writing 2000 (ish) words a day, mon-fri for a few weeks until I had hammered it into shape.

    Professor Calamity lives! He breathes! He has mighty fine adventures! I would love for you to join him and his friends on their miraculous and dangerous misadventures.


    Find the Professor and his chums HERE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Expanding Universe

Postcards From Castle Dracula

The PolGnomes and the Vile Grumble - a new children's story in development...